It is almost impossible to go throughout your daily life without coming into contact with Aluminum or stainless steel. From your kitchen sink to the car you drive, both of these metals are everywhere. When it comes down to Aluminum and stainless steel, both metals possess a variety of individual applications in sheet metal projects.
Yes, these two metals are similar in appearance. However, as similar as these two metals appear, they both distinct qualities that make them unique to one another.
The Differences Between Aluminum and Stainless Steel
Although Aluminum and stainless steel appear similar, these two metals are quite different. Here are a few of those differences to keep in mind for the next sheet metal project.
Strength to Weight Ratio
- Aluminum is one third the weight of stainless steel
- Aircrafts are made from Aluminum due to it being lightweight yet durable
- Aluminum is not as strong as stainless steel
Cost of Metals
- Aluminum is cheaper than stainless steel
- Aluminum sheet metal takes less time and effort to refine
- The steel industry has $900 billion turnover
- Aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity
- High voltage power lines are made from Aluminum due to its high conductance, lightweight, and resistance to corrosion
- Stainless steel is a poor conductor of electricity
- Aluminum is cheaper to cut and form
- Stainless steel’s high resistance to abrasion makes it challenging to work with
- Aluminum becomes soft at 400 degrees
- Stainless steel can be utilized at higher temperatures
- Stainless steel is quite easy to weld
- Aluminum is quite difficult to weld
- Aluminum has oxidation and corrosion resistance due to the passivation layer
- Aluminum turns white and pits when oxidized
- Stainless steel is made up of nickel, copper, chromium, and manganese. Chromium is an added agent that provides corrosion resistance
- Stainless steel is non-porous making its resistance to corrosion much higher
Both Aluminum and stainless steel have a specific job when it comes to the fabrication of sheet metal. When you are deciding which metal is right for your next project, WRISCO is here to help you with everything you need.
Throughout history, Aluminum has proven to outperform steel, especially when it comes to the construction of cars, power lines, and aircrafts.
With WRISCO as your Aluminum and stainless steel product provider, you get the finest aluminum and stainless steel products. WRISCO is the go-to solution with over 100 years of supplying unmatched quality for our customers.